Sticky and Sweet Chili Chicken
3 pounds of chicken wings
1 small shallot finely chopped
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
a bottle of store bought sweet chili sauce
chili flakes (optional)
vegetable oil or peanut oil for frying
FOR THE FLOUR MIXTURE:
8 ounces of rice flour (may sub with all purpose flour)
1 cup of cornstarch
1. Put your rice flour and corn starch into a brown paper bag. Add in your seasonings and mix well.
2. Place your chicken into the paper bag and toss to coat. Shake off the excess flour, and place your coated chicken on a wire rack.
3. Heat up your oil to 350 degrees. Fry your chicken in batches for about 7-8 minutes, being careful not to overcrowd your skillet. Drain your fried chicken on paper towels. Set aside.
4. On medium high heat, add in some oil, and cook your shallots until softened and brown. Add in your chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Add in your chili flakes, if using.
5. Stir in your sweet chili sauce, taste for seasoning, and add 2 pinches of salt, if needed.
6. Turn the heat up, add in your chicken, and toss to coat in your sauce. Serve immediately.