Eggplant Wrapped Tofu
Who doesn’t love Thanksgiving? We all know that you should be thankful no matter what time of the year it is, but during this special holiday, you suddenly feel extra THANKFUL and just a little bit more BLESSED. You also get that ONE day to stuff your face without anyone really judging you. Which reminds me…I wonder if I can locate my old maternity pants? Stretchy pants are an absolute MUST on Thanksgiving Day!
This recipe is an easy one and the great thing about it is IT’S HEALTHY. Grilled eggplant and fried tofu make a beautiful pair and I promise you, that for just a few moments…you will have forgotten that you are a meat eating carnivore.
3-4 Indian eggplants(may use any purple egg plants)
2 packages of fried tofu(small or large)
salt and pepper
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE:
1 ounce of ginger peeled then sliced julienne
1 small carrot sliced julienne
2 cloves of chopped garlic
2 Tbsp of finely chopped shallots
1/2 cup of water
1 Tbsp of soy sauce
1 Tbsp of hoisin sauce
1/2 tsp of salt
2 Tbsp of brown sugar
1/8 tsp of black pepper
some corn starch mixed with a little bit of water
cilantro or parsely
1. Start by making your dipping sauce. In a small mixing bowl, combine your water, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, salt, brown sugar, and black pepper. Mix well.
2. In a saucepan, add in some peanut oil. Add in your chopped shallots and cook until softened. Add in your garlic, cook for a couple of seconds and then toss in your ginger and carrots. Cook until fragrant or until softened to your liking.
3. Add in your soy sauce mixture and cook on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. It should be slightly boiling. Take some cornstarch and mix it with some water. Add that mixture into your saucepan and cook until slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Mixture will thicken more upon standing.
4. Remove your tofu from the packaging and rinse them in some really hot water to remove any excess oil. Drain and then pat them dry. Cut them in half if you are using the larger ones.
5. Wash your eggplants and then pat them dry. Cut off the ends first, and then begin to slice your eggplants into thin pieces, about an 1/8th of inch wide(or thinner). Coat both sides of your eggplant with some sesame oil and lightly season with salt and pepper. Grill your eggplants until done and allow them to cool down slightly before wrapping them over your tofu.
6. Wrap your grilled eggplant over your tofu by inserting a toothpick right into the center. Place them on a serving platter along with your dipping sauce and serve immediately.