Mini Caramelized Onion Tarts
I kid you not…these mini onion tarts are REALLY addicting! ESPECIALLY hot out the oven! I can probably eat about a dozen of these in one sitting, but I wont…
Because I’m lactose intolerant.
But these are so good, that despite my intolerance, I often make these and like to shove a few in my face before they’ve even cooled down.
Besides, what’s not to like??
(That last one had nothing to do with the recipe, but let’s face it..David Beckham is ALLLLLL GOOD.)
2 store bought pie crusts
1 whole white onion thinly sliced
2 Tbsp of butter
2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1 green onion chopped
4 ounces of softened cream cheese
1 Tbsp of grated parmesan
4 ounces of freshly grated white cheddar (reserve some for topping)
2 Tbsp of sour cream
2 Tbsp of mayonnaise
1 egg yolk
1. Into a skillet on medium heat, add in your butter and extra virgin olive oil. Once the butter has melted, throw in your onions. Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Turn the heat up to get a good sizzle, and reduce heat to medium low. Continue to cook (stirring frequently), until onions have caramelized, about 30-40 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
2. Into a bowl, add in your softened cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, cheeses, green onion, egg yolk, pinch of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well. Set aside.
3. Onto a lightly floured surface, roll out your pie crusts and cut out your mini crusts, using a two inch biscuit cutter.
4. Grease your mini muffin tins.
5. Push your crusts, firmly into the bottom of your muffin tins (watch the video below, for my trick on how to do that).
6. Evenly distribute your filling into each tin, and then top with a little bit of shredded cheese.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15-18 minutes, or until the cheese has melted, and the tops are slightly golden brown. SERVE IMMEDIATELY!